Wednesday, January 19, 2011

higher learning ?

I'm up about 2 hours earlier than I usually manage to be so I thought I'd write... didn't get around to it last night. I often feel most write-y as soon as I get home from work, but I don't get the opportunity to sit and compose until after the kids are in bed; by then all my thoughts are too scattered to get them down on paper. So now, armed with a cup of strong coffee and at least an hour of house-quiet to myself I can attempt to get a few things down.
I feel like such an oddball lately. I have nothing in common with the people that I spend the majority of my time with. I find that by the end of a regular day I'm more frustrated with some of the people I work with than with anything else about that job. It used to be the other way around. Now I just feel like I'm surrounded by a sea of familiar faces that are simply masking all the gossip and backstabbing that no one wants to admit to, but everyone is guilty of. And yes, I'm guilty of it to a point myself. Although lately I have been trying to walk away from the ridiculousness when faced with it. But being that it's work, I can only go so far away. And therein lies my frustration.
I think every day about how much I'd rather be home, writing, studying, applying my skills to something useful. How did I manage to spend a good part of my life so far in contributing to the pursuit of other peoples' misguided idea of happiness? New cars, new suits, vacations, new flat-screen-tv-surround-sound-fucking-entertainment room! I couldn't give less of a shit what the hell new crap you have.
I've often felt like I see things differently than the people around me though. Just the way I was brought up I guess. We didn't have a whole lot, but my parents worked hard to give us what they could. I doubt I'll ever find myself in the position to hand a small fortune or inheritance of some sort to my children. And I like it that way. I think if you go through life not having to work for what you've got, it makes the soul lazy. I want them to be well provided for, don't get me wrong. But to understand hard work and the satisfaction of doing a job that is worthwhile is a much greater gift.
In struggling to "just get by" I feel I have become misguided. The last ten years of this journey called life have been incredible; so many lessons have been learned since I became an "adult." Now I think it's time to take what I have learned and set my sights on doing what actually makes me happy; pack my suitcase full of my ideals and values and catch a train to the next destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment