Sunday, May 16, 2010

New Direction

In the stress of the last few months I have felt very little like writing. It's funny how sometimes, when you need it most, inspiration is just out of reach.
But now, looking forward with a different attitude and seeing my future from a different angle, it seems easier to let everything out.
Ugh, the depressing feeling of dealing with closed minded people all the time and feeling myself slowly but surely withering away to the same state of mind. Like an orange sitting on a shelf, evaporating away from the inside out until it is nothing but a hard skin, and utterly hollow underneath. But then a light came on. And from my frustration and depression an idea started to blossom.
I don't know how many people out there have felt like they are stuck in a rut. But I know I'm not the only one. Stuck in a job that I knew was killing my spirit, but feeling that I had no way out. I would go to work and could physically feel my attitude shift as I walked through the door. My shoulders would slump, my normally present smile would be hidden behind a mask of apathy and discontent. I tried to better my situation through determination and positivity, only to realize that all my hard work was only meeting a brick wall of outdated attitudes and inert mentalities.
"Well, this isn't going to get me anywhere," I told myself. "Something's gotta give."
And then the moment of realization... Why was I wasting my time fighting all this opposition for a job I didn't really enjoy? Wouldn't I be better suited to helping people that are in the very situation I am finding myself in? I've always had a keen eye for spotting injustices and getting fired up about the "unfairness of it all."
So, I turn my sights in a new direction. I'm excited, scared, and more than a little overwhelmed. But most of all I'm happy again. I have turned difficulty into possibility, depression into creativity, and inactivity into direction.
It took a while to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, but now that I can see the road I've traveled so far, the path before me is that much clearer, and the hills don't seem quite so steep.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
- Albert Einstein

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Mahatma Gandhi

You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, well you might find, you get what you need.
- The Rolling Stones

No comments:

Post a Comment